Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
We try to live, laugh & love . . . 'cuz that's what it's all about!

Tempted, but held strong

Posted by tina at 12/04/2011 09:51:00 PM

I will admit.  It's not exactly easy to not jump on Facebook to see what's going on in the fake world.  That is how I can tell that it's a good decision to quit. Friday, I didn't touch FB.  Saturday morning, I was on for about 10-15 minutes in the morning.  Quitting cold turkey was a little intense. :-)  There are some groups on there that I may miss some announcements - like Boy Scouts and Bulk Food/Coupon Deals - not sure how that's going to work.  FB seems to be the preferred method of communications/announcements.  But, I am sure we'll figure it out.  With FB on my phone, I sometimes felt like I didn't let FB interrupt my normal day since I didn't have to dig out the computer.  However, it was so easy to be on it more often.  There is likely some good that comes out of FB.  I know that our we can look out for one another based on random posts - it might cause someone to make a phone call and check on someone.  There are birthday reminders, which could be good.  I, however, feel that I have gotten very un-personal and forget more birthdays and do not prepare for them ahead of time like I used to. Why?  It's really fast to to just hop on and type "Happy Birthday!" than it is to actually plan ahead, make a card and get it in the mail on time.  I want to go back to making cards for people.  So, friends and family - 2012 could you be your birthday card year . . . digging the craft room out is a key factor in that goal.  OK, so that was kind of random tangent about birthdays.  The point of my post is really to state my success in giving up something. It's pretty sad to me that I find it hard to give up Facebook. Maybe it's not permanent, maybe I just need a break.  I know my husband would love for it to be permanent.

The other day, well last Sunday, we got to hear from the mission President and his wife.  They are very nice and personable people.  I don't think I've been in a ward where the mission president came to visit or speak.  Maybe I have and don't remember, but anyway . . . President Greer said that he used to not find time to read the scriptures daily, yet he would wake up early and read the newspaper without fail.  He realized his priorities needed to change, so he cancelled the newspaper and used that 30 minutes to read the scriptures.

We have a saying or a goal at work - we try to work smarter, not harder.  If we are using our time and resources efficiently, we should be able to accomplish what we need to.  Sounds pretty easy, right?  I am sure it's a little easier said than done.  However, I always remember a picture of a statue of Jesus Christ with his arms outstretched with the caption, "I never said it would be easy, but I said it would be worth it."

So, I am dedicating myself to reorganizing my time and my energies for some other things in life than worrying about what everyone else is doing or reporting, what they like or don't like, what article they read, what saying they thought was cute, what shameful thing their spouse did this time, what cute thing their kids did (although I am definitely going to miss reading about my little great niece and nephew - the twins).  I have my own kids to spend time with.  I have structures to build with Gunnar.  I have scrabble to play with Paden, even though he cheats.  I have "guy-guys" to splash with Fischer.  I have walks to take with the dog.  I have scriptures to read with my family.  I have lessons of the gospel to teach my kids.  I have family connections to make through thoughtful cards and letters.  I have missionaries to encourage with letters.  I have grandparents to call. I have scrapbooks to make.  I have clothes to fold (always!).  I have Las Vegas vacation to plan (although plane tickets and hotel is taken care of, we need to plan our buffet route).  I have holiday travel plans to discuss.  I have garbage to take out.  I have banana/choc chip muffins to bake.  I have  dinner menus to plan.  I have grocery lists to make.  I have bills to pay and budgets to review.

Seriously people, where do we find time to get everything done? You know that's not the end of my list of stuff to do.  I also love to sleep a good 8 hours. Did I also mention that I work full time?  I know you know that, but let's not overlook that one.  Well, I tell you, I would often let some of those things go because I was not motivated and when I wasn't motivated, I was seeing what everyone else was doing on FB.  I didn't even get into any of the games and I don't have that many "friends" relatively speaking, I can't even imagine how much more time could be potentially wasted out there in cyber space.

Tonight, I tackled laundry.  It was out of control.  There was more clean than dirty, which is usually the case in my house.  I can get it washed, but not put away.  I always feel better when there are more areas of the house clean than not.  So, the dishes got washed, the boys' room got cleaned and my room got cleaned. Gunnar, the sweet child he can be, took out the garbage, loaded and unloaded the dishwasher and cleaned the living room yesterday while I was napping with Fischer.  He didn't have to be asked.  I later gave him a dollar for his efforts. I wonder if he deserves more than a dollar.  Even though he tried to wash something that had liquid dish soap in it and we had to ShopVac a few suds out of the dishwasher, he did a very good job for a 9-year old boy.  Again, I ramble. My point is that I just feel so much relief and unburdened when the house isn't a complete disaster. It gives me "almost" motivation to tackle the computer room and garage. I think that's going to have to be a day off work to do those though - or the boys will need to not be here somehow.

So, now I am running out of time to get my 8 hours of sleep in - yeah . . . since I can't really sleep until 7am. It's looking like 6.5 to 7 hours.  But, while I was rambling out my fingers, I was listening to the Music and the Spoken Word on BYUTV.  Had I known I could find the complete text online, I wouldn't have taken the time to type, rewind, type, rewind and type the whole thing.  It was really good.  So, I'd like to share it.


The Journey to ChristmasDelivered By: Lloyd D. Newell
The month of December is a time of joyful anticipation. The sights, sounds, and smells of the season evoke feelings of excitement and wonder. For generations, children—and grown-ups—have used advent calendars and paper chains to count down the days. But does our focus ever become so fixed on the future that we forget to enjoy the journey to Christmas?

This year, instead of just looking forward, let’s also take pleasure in the preparations: in the little, less spectacular moments along the way, even in the spontaneous joys that may, at first, seem like interruptions to our bigger plans. In order to recognize those moments for what they could be, it sometimes helps to slow things down a bit. We may need to shop less and savor more. We might have to dim the bright lights in order to see the stars in the heavens, but if we look, we will find them.

Often it takes a child to redirect our focus. Think of how much children enjoy the present moments, the preparations, and not just the finished products. When helping to decorate the home, wrap presents, or bake Christmas treats, they usually make more of a mess than we would; they might not do it just right, but they also usually enjoy the moment more than we do! Their enthusiasm can be contagious.

A three-year-old girl, wholeheartedly living in the present, exclaimed: "It’s not tomorrow! It’s not today! It’s to-now!” When was the last time you felt "to-now”?

Yes, we are busy. But the days leading to Christmas are not just to be endured. In fact, perhaps they offer more of what the season is really about. The promise of Christmas is everywhere to behold. It’s not saved for Christmas morning. If we have eyes to see, ears to hear, and hearts to open, we truly can enjoy the journey to Christmas.

What an awesome message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

At Our House

    • .
  • Our Family Photos on Shutterfly

    • Click here for our photos

    My Blog List

    • A Day in the Life of the Roy Fam
      The Sweetest Gift
    • BLOG-ography
      Sunday Evening Post
    • bloggin mom
      Happy Birthday Maverick!!!
    • Curly Crafter
      Kata Kata Motivasi
    • erin summerill { THE SUMMERILL SURF }
      Bart The Cat your Life
    • Granola in a Different Bowl
      Field Trip For Me
    • Khea & Justin (Private)
    • Much Ado About...Nothing
      This Mom Thing. #BecauseofHim
    • Multiple Hats
      Blogging Restitution
    • Nikki and Danny
      Chicken Bacon Cream Cheese Wreath
    • our simple life
    • padey's blog
      school is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Pyles of Clutter
      Feelings of fall...
    • rasberries and rocks
      This crazy world of parenting
    • Retired in Sunland!
    • Terry Pyle
      Matthew 3; Mark 1; Luke 3
    • That girl ain't right...
      Andy Guessed It!
    • the AWESOME Megan
      The Lucky One
    • The Country Life of MoJo
      Family Conversation
    • The Gonzalez Family
      I know I know it's been 4ever!
    • The Life
      The one where my life changed.
    • The Neighbor's Blog
      Family, We're in This Together
    • Trumpet House Tales
      Thoughts
    • Weston & Emmerson
      Christmas

    Blog Archive

    • ►  2013 (6)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  September (1)
      • ►  May (1)
      • ►  January (3)
    • ►  2012 (18)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (1)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  June (3)
      • ►  May (2)
      • ►  April (1)
      • ►  February (1)
      • ►  January (2)
    • ▼  2011 (33)
      • ▼  December (7)
        • Christmas Joys
        • I suppose . . .
        • O Christmas Tree
        • Well, this week is over . . .
        • Parenting 101
        • Tempted, but held strong
        • So, it's December 1st
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  September (3)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  July (4)
      • ►  May (1)
      • ►  March (3)
      • ►  February (6)
      • ►  January (6)
    • ►  2010 (15)
      • ►  December (3)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (3)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  June (1)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (1)
      • ►  March (1)
      • ►  January (1)
    • ►  2009 (39)
      • ►  December (2)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (3)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (3)
      • ►  June (5)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (3)
      • ►  March (4)
      • ►  February (7)
      • ►  January (4)
    • ►  2008 (57)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (3)
      • ►  October (3)
      • ►  September (5)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (3)
      • ►  June (3)
      • ►  May (4)
      • ►  April (6)
      • ►  March (9)
      • ►  February (9)
      • ►  January (9)
    • ►  2007 (37)
      • ►  December (7)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  June (2)
      • ►  April (5)
      • ►  March (6)
      • ►  February (8)
      • ►  January (4)
    • ►  2006 (16)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (2)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ►  August (4)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (2)
      • ►  February (1)
    • ►  2005 (5)
      • ►  December (3)
      • ►  November (2)

    Who's Been Here?





    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright At Our House. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top