In my e-mail, I found a great analogy that I'd like to share. You could easily substitute the word "Bible" or "Scriptures" in here. I know there are some people of other faiths who scan this blog every now and again and I don't want to turn them away. :-)
Wonder what would happen if we treated our Book of Mormon (or Bible) like we treat our cell phones?
What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?
What if we turned back to get it if we forgot it?
What if we flipped through it several times a day?
What if we spent an hour or more using it every day?
What if we used it to receive messages from the text?
What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?
What if we gave it to kids as gifts?
What if we used it as we traveled?
What if we used it in case of an emergency?
This is something to make you go...."Hmmm....where is my Book of Mormon (or Bible)?"
Oh, and a few more things--Unlike our cell phones:
One Plan fits all.
Unlimited usage.
No roaming charges.
You always have reception.
You don't have to buy batteries.
No weak signals AND
We don't ever have to worry about our Book of Mormon (or Bible) being disconnected because Our Savior already paid the bill! :-)
This made me think how I am - 5 days a week my cell phone never gets left and is fret over when lost. Saturday my phone gets left home most of the time. Sunday my scriptures come with me and my phone doesn't. It's always nice to have a kick in the pants like this analogy to make me bring to the front burner what is important. I have a feeling that if we treated our scriptures more like our cell phones, we would certainly be in better shape than if we place more importance on a phone!We had a great lesson today on Selfless Service and although I did not share this in class, I did think of Jill's Good Mail phenom! I think it's a simple act of selfless service to send out "thinking of you" mail/packages. What a great way to brighten someone's day!! We sang the hymn Have I Done Any Good? and it's such a wonderful hymn. I'll just share the words to the second verse.
There are chances for work all around just now,
opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try," but
go and do something today. 'Tis noble of man to work and
to give; Love's labor has merit alone. Only he who does
something helps others to live. To God each good work will be known.
Chorus: Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.
What a wonderful hymn and it was a fabulous topic of service. We focused on the small acts of kindness that are usually the greatest service to others. It can be easy to follow those promptings to do a kind deed for someone else - if we only listen!
1 comment:
That is a great thought to think about! If I spent as much time reading my scriptures as I did my email I would be much better off. So that's something I'm going to work on this week. Thanks!
Post a Comment