Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
We try to live, laugh & love . . . 'cuz that's what it's all about!

What does 57 + 21 + 1 equal?

Posted by tina at 9/08/2008 08:09:00 PM
57 = the number of QUARTS of peaches canned on Saturday
21 = the number of QUARTS of peaches canned on Sunday
1 = the number of broken QUARTS for the weekend

EQUALS

79 TOTAL QUARTS of peaches canned



This was not this past weekend, but the weekend before. I just haven't gotten to this part of our lives in the blog world. So much for chronological order, since I already blogged about the first day of soccer. Anyhoo . . .


We purchased a two burner camp stove thing-a-ma-jiggy from Sportsman's warehouse and set up camp on our back deck. We had 6 boxes of peaches and some of our friends had 3 boxes to can. So, we got up early and got all set up: small camp stove to boil peaches on, ice chest with ice bath for boiled peaches, camp stove with two canning pots, table for peeling and cutting, jars washing, lids boiling, syrup making, etc. We were in business by 9:00am (now that doesn't seem early, but I was up since 6:30am cleaning the kitchen and washing jars). Wow, canning is a lot of work! I felt so domesticated. My friend, April, was doing only pint jars and so we both got through the 57 or 58 jars each on Saturday. That's a lot of peaches, my friends. I finally gave up the ghost around 6pm. We had three boxes left between the three of us. We had to stop! I finished up on Sunday afternoon so I could use both canning pots and that went pretty quick. The last two boxes I did had much smaller peaches (about 5 or 6 to fill up a quart jar). So, we got 21 more quarts out on Sunday and about 8 cups of puree, which we froze for smoothies in the future.

Anyway, it was great success, I think. We did have a little bit of a mess, which is always the worst part for me. So, yep, SEVENTY NINE QUARTS. I think it's quite remarkable for me. Now, I know a little friend of mine who is a canning queen and good at everything else too, although I didn't see Leslie post a lot of canning adventures this summer - maybe the 450+ pints from last year lasted long enough! :-) Leslie is a fantabulous person and is really amazingly talented at many things, plus has the energy and gumption to do those many things! Miss you, Leslie!

Ok, better get my boys to bed. Paden has his first day of pre-school tomorrow! Maybe I can document that first day, since I missed first day of first grade. If I stop blogging now though, how can I finish watching re-runs of Scrubs!

4 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Way to go, Tina! Those are great stats.

9:42 PM, September 08, 2008
Darla said...

You go girl!!!!
You got me beat :)

12:35 PM, September 09, 2008
Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tina! That's awesome! Of course, I'm taking some of the credit because I gave you all my jars. How was Paden's first day at preschool? How is 1st grade? Does Gunnar still hate school or is it getting better? Do tell all!

6:27 AM, September 11, 2008
Leslie said...

That is pretty darn impressive for just 2 days of work!!! As you probably guessed, even a year later I'm burned out from all the crazy canning I did last year. And no surprise, it turned out to be well over a year supply for especially the applesauce, apple pie filling, peaches, and pears. So this year I've canned just a fraction of last year and it's been a nice break.

I was curious so I counted the tally I've been keeping and from June until last night I've canned 160 pints and 83 quarts of various things - several types of jams, pickles, fruits, and salsa. So I seriously think you are the canning pro this summer because to do all those quarts so quickly amazes me. Mines just a little more because I've spread it out all summer.

p.s. we probably are going to the wedding on Saturday too. It'll be fun to see you guys in person and catch up. I actually ran into CW about 2 weeks ago at a reception here in town (his wife knew the brides mom really well). Small world.

9:59 AM, September 11, 2008

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

At Our House

    • .
  • Our Family Photos on Shutterfly

    • Click here for our photos

    My Blog List

    • A Day in the Life of the Roy Fam
      The Sweetest Gift
    • BLOG-ography
      Sunday Evening Post
    • bloggin mom
      Happy Birthday Maverick!!!
    • Curly Crafter
      Kata Kata Motivasi
    • erin summerill { THE SUMMERILL SURF }
      Bart The Cat your Life
    • Granola in a Different Bowl
      Field Trip For Me
    • Khea & Justin (Private)
    • Much Ado About...Nothing
      This Mom Thing. #BecauseofHim
    • Multiple Hats
      Blogging Restitution
    • Nikki and Danny
      Chicken Bacon Cream Cheese Wreath
    • our simple life
    • padey's blog
      school is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Pyles of Clutter
      Feelings of fall...
    • rasberries and rocks
      This crazy world of parenting
    • Retired in Sunland!
    • Terry Pyle
      Matthew 3; Mark 1; Luke 3
    • That girl ain't right...
      Andy Guessed It!
    • the AWESOME Megan
      The Lucky One
    • The Country Life of MoJo
      Family Conversation
    • The Gonzalez Family
      I know I know it's been 4ever!
    • The Life
      The one where my life changed.
    • The Neighbor's Blog
      Family, We're in This Together
    • Trumpet House Tales
      Thoughts
    • Weston & Emmerson
      Christmas

    Blog Archive

    • ►  2013 (6)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  September (1)
      • ►  May (1)
      • ►  January (3)
    • ►  2012 (18)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (1)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  June (3)
      • ►  May (2)
      • ►  April (1)
      • ►  February (1)
      • ►  January (2)
    • ►  2011 (33)
      • ►  December (7)
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  September (3)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  July (4)
      • ►  May (1)
      • ►  March (3)
      • ►  February (6)
      • ►  January (6)
    • ►  2010 (15)
      • ►  December (3)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (3)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  June (1)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (1)
      • ►  March (1)
      • ►  January (1)
    • ►  2009 (39)
      • ►  December (2)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (3)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (3)
      • ►  June (5)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (3)
      • ►  March (4)
      • ►  February (7)
      • ►  January (4)
    • ▼  2008 (57)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (3)
      • ►  October (3)
      • ▼  September (5)
        • Road Trip Adventure
        • 1st Day of Preschool
        • What does 57 + 21 + 1 equal?
        • the Blue Dragons
        • Week in Review AGAIN
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (3)
      • ►  June (3)
      • ►  May (4)
      • ►  April (6)
      • ►  March (9)
      • ►  February (9)
      • ►  January (9)
    • ►  2007 (37)
      • ►  December (7)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  June (2)
      • ►  April (5)
      • ►  March (6)
      • ►  February (8)
      • ►  January (4)
    • ►  2006 (16)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (2)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ►  August (4)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (2)
      • ►  February (1)
    • ►  2005 (5)
      • ►  December (3)
      • ►  November (2)

    Who's Been Here?





    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright At Our House. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top