Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
We try to live, laugh & love . . . 'cuz that's what it's all about!

"friends"

Posted by tina at 12/07/2009 10:55:00 PM
So, I am slightly addicted to Facebook. Not in the have to play Farmville or Mafia Wars or get in pillow fight/water balloon fight/snowball fight kind of way, but just have to get on daily to see what everyone is doing, then get off. I am feeling fine with that, so far, I guess. I don't feel I am on it all the time. But, that's beside the reason for my blog post.


I have some "friends" that probably are more of acquaintances or family members on my husband's side that I don't really know. I've taken off a couple of "friends" that were bugging me because they aren't really my friends and I didn't really want to read all their updates.


The other night at the Community Christmas tree lighting deal, I was sitting in the back corner of the room letting my 6-month old enjoy a chocolate chip cookie (which I need to get the picture from the babysitter) and this young fellow walks up. He's got a name tag and a camera. He's from the State Representative's Office. He introduced himself and I gave him my name. He then says, this is a strange question, but are you LDS? I said, yup. He said that he was a missionary in small town south of here and had served with a missionary that was serving in our small town when my husband was the ward mission leader. Anyway, so he knew of us. We didn't have a long conversation partly because I wasn't really feeling like being overly social and partly because people were gawking at Fischer and his cookie mess. Although, I do remember telling him I had wondered if state rep was LDS or something because he was a "friend" of someone I knew on Facebook.


So, later when we got home. I am pretty sure that same night, but could have been the next night 'cuz I just don't think I can separate out what date what minor detail happened, I get a "friend" request from this particular State Representative for which this young gentleman works. The state rep is LDS as well. He's facebook friends with someone else I know and I've see him comment before and wondered out she got to be "friends" with a state rep.


So, I am NOT into politics, although I usually feel like I should educate myself on some stuff. I have to usually know what big initiative are out there that could affect my working life, but I am able to research that kind of stuff on work time and it's work related. I don't get involved in politics on a personal level, really, at all. It always ends in my getting irritated at the world when I do. Life is too complicated where politics are involved.


So, my question of my very late, stuffy sinus, tired eyes night is . . . should I be "friends" on Facebook with a state Representative that I don't know because some return missionary remembered my name and looked me up when he got back to his computer? With my luck, he's probably found enough information around to be reading my blog and will then be able to comment that, "No you don't have to be facebook friends with the guy, he's just looking for his supporters out there in small towns of the state."


The term "friend" is used pretty loosely with the ol' Facebook, in my opinion. But I can see it could get dicey if you categorize your friends, you wouldn't have many friends left if you started down that road.


Would you be Facebook friends with a state rep? Would you be Facebook friends with someone else you don't really know, more of an acquaintance?

5 comments:

Leslie said...

The friend part of Facebook drives me a little crazy. I feel guilty not "friending" people that request but I really don't want to read updates of people I hardly know either. And it annoys me when people send requests that I know I never really knew at all - like they just went down the list in their yearbook and added everyone they could. I'm at the point of deleting people but I don't want to be rude - aargh! What to do?

Anyway, there's my rambling vent. I personally think you should not add them to your list.

8:24 AM, December 08, 2009
Morgan and Joel said...

Ah, good ol' facebook. The friending thing is kinda bizarre - just because you know them, as in you know who they are but that's about it, are you their 'friend'?

I'm in the habit of being choosy who I invite to be my friend, but will accept a friendship if it is requested, especially if it might possibly in any way result in hurt feelings.

I highly doubt the state rep. will be heartbroken, especially if you only met once and didn't really hit it off. But whatever. Good luck!

3:09 PM, December 08, 2009
tina said...

I didn't even actually meet the state rep, which is probably why it's more annoying. I met a kid who works for him. Anyway . . .

7:00 PM, December 08, 2009
strivingforsunshine said...

Yeah, that is annoying....

2:17 PM, December 09, 2009
Tracy said...

Tina - I know exactly what you mean. One of the guys running for County Prosecutor was adding people he found on FB that was in his voting area I imagine. I think he must have looked by Network because there were actually some Mutual Friends we had.

I coudn't figure out if I actually NEW Him and didn't remember him form high school (he's my age as well). I finally figured out he was just trolling for votes!

It's annoying!

8:48 PM, December 12, 2009

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

At Our House

    • .
  • Our Family Photos on Shutterfly

    • Click here for our photos

    My Blog List

    • A Day in the Life of the Roy Fam
      The Sweetest Gift
    • BLOG-ography
      Sunday Evening Post
    • bloggin mom
      Happy Birthday Maverick!!!
    • Curly Crafter
      Kata Kata Motivasi
    • erin summerill { THE SUMMERILL SURF }
      Bart The Cat your Life
    • Granola in a Different Bowl
      Field Trip For Me
    • Khea & Justin (Private)
    • Much Ado About...Nothing
      This Mom Thing. #BecauseofHim
    • Multiple Hats
      Blogging Restitution
    • Nikki and Danny
      Chicken Bacon Cream Cheese Wreath
    • our simple life
    • padey's blog
      school is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Pyles of Clutter
      Feelings of fall...
    • rasberries and rocks
      This crazy world of parenting
    • Retired in Sunland!
    • Terry Pyle
      Matthew 3; Mark 1; Luke 3
    • That girl ain't right...
      Andy Guessed It!
    • the AWESOME Megan
      The Lucky One
    • The Country Life of MoJo
      Family Conversation
    • The Gonzalez Family
      I know I know it's been 4ever!
    • The Life
      The one where my life changed.
    • The Neighbor's Blog
      Family, We're in This Together
    • Trumpet House Tales
      Thoughts
    • Weston & Emmerson
      Christmas

    Blog Archive

    • ►  2013 (6)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  September (1)
      • ►  May (1)
      • ►  January (3)
    • ►  2012 (18)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (1)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  June (3)
      • ►  May (2)
      • ►  April (1)
      • ►  February (1)
      • ►  January (2)
    • ►  2011 (33)
      • ►  December (7)
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  September (3)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  July (4)
      • ►  May (1)
      • ►  March (3)
      • ►  February (6)
      • ►  January (6)
    • ►  2010 (15)
      • ►  December (3)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (3)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  June (1)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (1)
      • ►  March (1)
      • ►  January (1)
    • ▼  2009 (39)
      • ▼  December (2)
        • "friends"
        • It's officially . . .
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (3)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (3)
      • ►  June (5)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (3)
      • ►  March (4)
      • ►  February (7)
      • ►  January (4)
    • ►  2008 (57)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (3)
      • ►  October (3)
      • ►  September (5)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (3)
      • ►  June (3)
      • ►  May (4)
      • ►  April (6)
      • ►  March (9)
      • ►  February (9)
      • ►  January (9)
    • ►  2007 (37)
      • ►  December (7)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  June (2)
      • ►  April (5)
      • ►  March (6)
      • ►  February (8)
      • ►  January (4)
    • ►  2006 (16)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (2)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ►  August (4)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (2)
      • ►  February (1)
    • ►  2005 (5)
      • ►  December (3)
      • ►  November (2)

    Who's Been Here?





    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright At Our House. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top