Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
We try to live, laugh & love . . . 'cuz that's what it's all about!

Garden Harvest

Posted by tina at 8/01/2009 08:51:00 AM
This is the first year we've had a real garden. We've tried a couple of other times, but didn't really get it done. Last year we started a bunch of plants inside, but never planted them outside - not sure what happened there. This year we planted everything outside and just let 'em grow. It worked, which always amazes me. Side track: I love living in agriculturals areas where you can see acres and acres of food growing. I miss the area we used to live where we could go from one town to the next and go from cherries, apples, apricots and peaches to more apples, grapes, asparagus, corn, wheat, potatoes, green peas, sugar snap peas, lima beans, carrots, and so much more. I also dearly miss the intersection of Road 9 & Road K, where a super nice hispanic family grows a huge U-pick garden that you can just wander around with a 5-gallon bucket and get peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos, melons, etc. for a great price. Where we live, there's still quite a bit of agriculture too, so I still feel great about it. We have potatoes, onions, mint, watermelons, cantalope, strawberries and more that's grown in the general vicinty. It's fabulous.

Anyway, back to our garden . . . it's not the prettiest garden because it's surrounded by weeds, which is actually good - hides it from the neighbors! :) No, our neighbors wouldn't bother our garden anyway. But, we have at least 15 watermelons growing- so exciting. There's one honeydew melon that is pretty close to being ready to harvest. There's a couple of cantalopes. We have harvested tons of cucumbers - those things grow like crazy. We have had many carrots. Our tomatoes are ripening well. We have some yellow pear tomatoes, which are not much bigger than cherry tomatoes and we have a couple of cherry tomato plants too. We grew peas, which we thought were pretty much done a while back, but there were lots of new ones on one plant the other day. Our corn is doing great - we have some popcorn plants growing too. We have some strawberries and grapes growing. The strawberries are really getting going now and the grapes are new this year and will be a few years before there's really good grapes, but there's some on there now that are tasty, just not that many. I don't necessarily like gardening for a hobby - but I love having a garden and I think I can get used to the idea of having to take care of it so that it stays healthy.

Last Sunday morning, this is what I harvested:
I made up my own pasta dish - tri-color bowtie pasta, chicken, peas and carrots from the garden. It was seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning and thyme (lots of it). It was tasty! No picture because I ate ALL of it!
So, we go out to the garden every couple of days to pick stuff. There's always tons of cucumbers, so I need to get some pickles made - hopefully today. I harvested this very intersting carrot the other day. I am not sure what to say about it!

5 comments:

Kevin said...

I could think of something to say about the carrot picture... :-)

7:39 PM, August 01, 2009
Heather @ Multiple Hats said...

I think the carrot just gets a - WOW. Maybe a WOW! YOur veggies look yummy :)

1:40 PM, August 03, 2009
Tracy said...

Oh my heck! That carrot is ... ummm ... very interesting to say the least! Too funny! And WOW is definitely the right word for it! ;)

7:19 PM, August 11, 2009
Chawntelle said...

that's a not a pg-13 rated carrot...

10:05 PM, August 13, 2009
Trudy said...

You have a great blog. I'd love for you to come and visit my blog. I just made a Vintage Vogue Original 1944 Design, V2858. On the previous page you'll find a dress I made from an original 1974 pattern that I found in an antique store. I call that post The Lady in Lavender. And lots of other things in between. Hope you enjoy.

5:12 PM, August 27, 2009

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

At Our House

    • .
  • Our Family Photos on Shutterfly

    • Click here for our photos

    My Blog List

    • A Day in the Life of the Roy Fam
      The Sweetest Gift
    • BLOG-ography
      Sunday Evening Post
    • bloggin mom
      Happy Birthday Maverick!!!
    • Curly Crafter
      Kata Kata Motivasi
    • erin summerill { THE SUMMERILL SURF }
      Bart The Cat your Life
    • Granola in a Different Bowl
      Field Trip For Me
    • Khea & Justin (Private)
    • Much Ado About...Nothing
      This Mom Thing. #BecauseofHim
    • Multiple Hats
      Blogging Restitution
    • Nikki and Danny
      Chicken Bacon Cream Cheese Wreath
    • our simple life
    • padey's blog
      school is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Pyles of Clutter
      Feelings of fall...
    • rasberries and rocks
      This crazy world of parenting
    • Retired in Sunland!
    • Terry Pyle
      Matthew 3; Mark 1; Luke 3
    • That girl ain't right...
      Andy Guessed It!
    • the AWESOME Megan
      The Lucky One
    • The Country Life of MoJo
      Family Conversation
    • The Gonzalez Family
      I know I know it's been 4ever!
    • The Life
      The one where my life changed.
    • The Neighbor's Blog
      Family, We're in This Together
    • Trumpet House Tales
      Thoughts
    • Weston & Emmerson
      Christmas

    Blog Archive

    • ►  2013 (6)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  September (1)
      • ►  May (1)
      • ►  January (3)
    • ►  2012 (18)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (1)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  June (3)
      • ►  May (2)
      • ►  April (1)
      • ►  February (1)
      • ►  January (2)
    • ►  2011 (33)
      • ►  December (7)
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  September (3)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  July (4)
      • ►  May (1)
      • ►  March (3)
      • ►  February (6)
      • ►  January (6)
    • ►  2010 (15)
      • ►  December (3)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (3)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  June (1)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (1)
      • ►  March (1)
      • ►  January (1)
    • ▼  2009 (39)
      • ►  December (2)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (3)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ▼  August (2)
        • I know, I know . . .
        • Garden Harvest
      • ►  July (3)
      • ►  June (5)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (3)
      • ►  March (4)
      • ►  February (7)
      • ►  January (4)
    • ►  2008 (57)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (3)
      • ►  October (3)
      • ►  September (5)
      • ►  August (2)
      • ►  July (3)
      • ►  June (3)
      • ►  May (4)
      • ►  April (6)
      • ►  March (9)
      • ►  February (9)
      • ►  January (9)
    • ►  2007 (37)
      • ►  December (7)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  August (1)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  June (2)
      • ►  April (5)
      • ►  March (6)
      • ►  February (8)
      • ►  January (4)
    • ►  2006 (16)
      • ►  December (1)
      • ►  November (1)
      • ►  October (2)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ►  August (4)
      • ►  May (3)
      • ►  April (2)
      • ►  February (1)
    • ►  2005 (5)
      • ►  December (3)
      • ►  November (2)

    Who's Been Here?





    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright At Our House. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top